Friday July 26, 2024

Ubuntu: Take 2
  Posted by: AceBHound on Jul 29th, 2006 9:17 PM
It's been about a year since I last tried installing a desktop Linux distro. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully get away from the Windows environment, but Ubuntu 6.06 is about as straight-foward as it comes to installing an operating system. Odd as it might sound, I actually think it was easier to install than Windows *gasp*.

For years I've heard people say that the average joe could install Redhat, Debian, etc just as easily as Windows.. but I don't think that has truly happened until recently. Now there are LiveCDs which let users to experience the OS before actually installing on their machine, then as easily as double clicking on an icon it will guide them into permanently installing the OS on their machine. Nice splash screens, pre-installed productivity/graphics software packages, automatic setup of sound/video devices and Samba integration. The user doesn't have to know *anything* about linux to have a completely working setup with useful applications. The average user can experience what Linux truly has to offer as a desktop operating system, rather than becoming immediately discouraged by hardware or software issues involved with setting up Gnome/KDE (as was the case 5 years ago).

As time goes on I can definitely see Linux gaining more and more popularity in mom & pop machines as the distros continue refining installation and useability. Very neat indeed.

View More Techdose Articles