Saturday July 27, 2024

TechTV Staff Given 60-days Notice as Comcast Guts Network
  Posted by: AceBHound on May 8th, 2004 10:01 AM
"At the end of March Comcast announced that it had purchased TechTV from Paul Allen's Vulcan Ventures in order to strengthen the channel and fold it in with their own, largely ignored gaming channel, G4. The future of TechTV was uncertain, but hopeful. Now it appears that Comcast may be planning to gut the network, as they've given the entire staff their mandatory 60-days notice in compliance with the WARN act. News of the notice first showed up in the forums at Leoville and was confirmed shortly thereafter by Leo Laporte, longtime TechTV star (if you can call it that) and member of the cast of The Screensavers and Call for Help."

Although I haven't watched TechTV more than a few times in the last 4 years (none of the cable networks I've had since I moved have carried the channel), I still remember how great of a show it was to keep up to date with new hardware and technology. Sure, the actors/anchors were a little nuts and much of the news was not always news to me, but it helped bring computer-challenged people up to speed by explaining in lamen terms. It's a shame to see it go..

(Read More)

View More Techdose Articles