Saturday July 27, 2024

Assembly Code Tutorials?
  Posted by: AceBHound on Apr 3rd, 2006 11:13 PM
I started playing around with the XGameStation Pico's assembly code a few weeks ago -- it's going to take a while before I can write anything that generates video signals & actually understand what's going on. Most people turn on their TV and don't think anything of what actually makes the picture, the colors or anything really -- most people probably don't care either :) But there are a lot of things going on there to generate the video and it's cool learning how some genius figured out how to add color into an otherwise black and white video signal so it wouldn't effectively make every black & white TV set a paper weight.

So yeah, I have to tackle a couple hundred page PDF on basic assembly commands for the SX-series processors. Afterwards I'll have to learn the ins & outs of generating video signals -- getting timings correct, etc.. then I can think about actually making something move on the screen. Long ways off I think but just like anything else, baby steps and you'll eventually get somewhere with it. I've been thinking I'll either add some tutorials or code as I'm playing with stuff or document some of what I do as I progress with things.

View More Techdose Articles