Sunday April 30, 2017

Gottlieb System 1 NVRAM Adapter (for 5101 RAM)
  Posted by: AceBHound on Feb 26th, 2014 8:31 AM
Here's one of the prototypes I had made up in January, a Gottlieb System 1 Pinball NVRAM Adapter. Still in the testing phase on this one, more info over at Pinitech. I don't expect it to be a huge seller but since there does not currently exist any NVRAM or 5101 adapters for the Gottlieb System 1 I figured why not throw it in with some other prototype designs I was having made.

As for how well this might sell -- I'm thinking it's going to be affected by a narrow market for this type of product. First, Gottlieb System 1 pinball machines just aren't as popular as some of the Bally/Williams machines from the same era. Second, if someone has an issue with their MPU they are often replacing it with a brand new Pascal or NiWumph System 1 MPU that has additional features and NVRAM already on the board. Third, even if someone wanted to keep the original board and upgrade to NVRAM, the original 5101 RAM is soldered to the board. So the market starts shrinking with all these factors not to mention the already niche market of pinball machines. I could be wrong, but I'd think most people with working boards aren't going to want to touch what's not broken and the percentage of people with the right equipment and skill to desolder the RAM and purchase an NVRAM adapter would be fairly small. That still didn't deter me from creating this prototype to work toward the goal of a functional adapter for System 1 machines though =)

Read More

View All Articles